Scheduling Meetings with Congressional Reps
Not Solved Scheduling Meetings with Congressional Reps
Hey Everyone!

I'm Jenna and I'm going to be a correspondent at WJMC for session 2! I can't wait...I'm counting down the days! I had a question for some of the past correspondents or upcoming correspondents that were able to do this. I have tried to reach out to my district representative, Bonnie Watson Coleman, and my two senators: Cory Booker and Bob Menendez. (wooo go jersey!) Anyway, I sent them all an email in the format that was posted on the VIP Page and I only received a response from Cory Booker. I followed up about a week later with a phone call to both Representative Coleman and Senator Menendez and still nothing. Obviously we're dealing with some pretty busy people here, but I was just wondering if this happened to anyone else and how they managed it. Thanks so much! Hope to meet you guys in July!

-- Jenna 

Also, I want to try to talk to as many people as possible prior to the conference! I'll put all my social media handles under this, follow and DM so I can get to know you all! 

Instagram: jennacohen
Twitter: jennacohen00
Snap: jennacohen4
Not Solved RE: Scheduling Meetings with Congressional Reps
Hi Jenna!

I'm so glad that you are coming for session 2. Let me know if you have any questions that I can answer!
Oh my goodness... Please please please meet with your representative. However, you can't meet with all three of them, so I would advise honing in on one of them that you really like or really have some things that you want to talk to them about--ideally both--and get in contact.
The best way to contact them is shoot them an email (which you have done) and then hope for the best. If it gets closer and still you haven't heard anything, try calling their office. 

I hope this helps!

P.S. my Twitter is sameranthas if you want to contact me further!
Hi Jenna!

To reiterate what Sam said, getting the chance to meet with your representative is such an awesome experience and I would definitely recommend it! However, I know that just sending an email to their office is not usually the best way to contact them. Personally speaking, I interned for my Congressman for most of last year and emails can easily get lost in the inboxes so I would suggest calling the office right off the bat. Once you are on the phone with them, talk about the conference a little and ask if they would be willing to meet. Then, ask if there is an email you should use to send more detailed information!

I wish you good luck on finding a time to meet! It's definitely a great experience!

Let me know if you have any other questions!
Hey Jenna! 

I'm so excited to hear that you'll be joining us for WJMC 2017! Definitely do whatever you can to get a meeting with your Congressional Representative. It's such a unique opportunity. However, don't be discouraged if you don't get to meet with them. There are plenty of other incredible things to do if that be the case! Last year we had the option to visit The Holocaust Museum, which I took part in myself, and it was absolutely amazing. You are going to have a wonderful time at WJMC regardless! 
Hope this helps, and if you have any other questions don't hesitate to ask! 

Olivia Vermane
Hey, Jenna! My personal experience with this was that it's extremely hard to get ahold of some reps and senators. I reached out to mine and only heard back from one, Tim Kaine. However, it proved too difficult for him or his staff to meet closer to the date because of, obviously, the presidential campaign. Scheduling with a politician is always difficult when you're under 18 (and can't vote) and are an 'unknown' in politics. Since you're from New Jersey, you probably haven't had the opportunity to explore DC, so either way you have a great opportunity to have a fun, educational day!

Grace Leffler
graceleffler@gmail.com

Jump to Board: