Solved! Go to Solution.
Lodging
Message #1
Not Solved Lodging
I live in Texas and I've never been so far without family or friends. It is my understanding that we are staying in dorms. Will we be sharing a dorm with one random roommate? If so, are we going to be able to contact them and get to know them pre-conference? Thanks.  16x16_smiley-happy16x16_smiley-happy
Message #2
Not Solved RE: Lodging
Hi Alyssa!! I'm so glad you're going to the conference! You will have a random roommate, depending on what type of room you receive once you get to the conference (single or double), but all rooms are connected to share a bathroom. You won't know your roommate until check-in day, but through group chats and these forums you may connect with different people and one of them could end up being your roommate! This happened for me last year! But I was super nervous just like you about being with someone I don't know, but became best friends with my roommate!

Hope his helps!
Cassandra Kuhn
Youth Advisory Board Member
cpk522@aol.com
Message #3
Thanks, that helped a lot!
Message #4
Hi Alyysa,

Yes, Cassandra's totally right. Personally, I have been to a lot of conferences with unknown roommates and I was always hesitant. There has only been one time for a conference in Tampa Bay, where I met my roommate early. We talked for the weeks prior and by the time we actually in our room with nothing to do, we had realized we already knew so much about each other. Meeting your roommate on the first day is a great way to build your own self for other lifestyles and future investments in meeting new people. Trust me when y'all get into the room and become bored, y'all will start to talk and become better friends. Then your roommate will become a lifetime memory and friend.
Stephon Porter - Jackson, MS
Youth Advisory Board 
porterstephon@gmail.com

Message #5
Hi Alyssa!
I'm so excited to see that a fellow Texan is attending the conference! I live in the Dallas area, so if you live close, I would love to get together and answer any questions you may have about the conference. If you don't live close (cause Texas is kinda big), you can email me at abby.werner@mindspring.com. I completely understand why you may be anxious to travel so far from home- I was the same way. Actually this conferece was the first time I ever flew on a plane by myself. But trust me, all of your fellow correspondents will be just as nervous as you, so try not to sweat it!

Abby Werner
abby.werner@mindspring.com
Youth Advisory Board
Message #6
Hi! I'm Hannah, and I'm from West Virginia.  I know you're neverous, because I was. (But maybe you're not...) Honestly, the majority of the people at this conference are the nicest, kindest people. So never be afraid to strike up a conversation with a random correspondent, or be afraid that you will not have any friends. Those were the things that I needed to hear before I went to the conference. This will be the best week, trust me. 
Hannah Morgan
Youth Advisory Board 
morgan.hannah78@yahoo.com
16x16_smiley-tongue
Message #7
Hi, AlyssaHigh. My name is Grace, and I was a student correspondent last year. I just wanted to add that while your roommates will be important, you spend the most time with other people in your color group while walking around DC or on campus. Personally, I established closer relationships with my colorgroup; we still have a GroupMe running. So even though you won't know anyone before the conference, you likely will long after it. I think that's probably the best part of this conference: you connect with people from different states and with different backgrounds solely based on one common interest.

Grace Leffler
Youth Advisory Board
graceleffler@gmail.com
Message #8
Hello AlyssaHigh,

Welcome to the WSP Community! I'm thrilled to see you've decided to attend WJMC this summer, and your concerns about being far from home for a week are certainly understandable. Like AbbyWerner, I too am from Texas and remember feeling wary of not knowing who I would room with when I went to the Conference a few years back, but as many alumni have stated above, you will be spending most of your time with your Color Group of about 20-25 fellow Correspondents.

As far as lodging goes, students will be housed in suite-style residence halls on George Mason's campus with same-gender arrangements. You will either have a roommate or a single room, but requests for single rooms or roommates are not accepted. You will find out your assignment upon arrival at the Conference. 

If you have any other questions, please feel free to post again. Thanks to all of our Youth Advisory Board members for your valuable insight!
Sam
Social Media Supervisor 
The Washington Scholars Program

Private Message
Remember to give Kudos if you like a post or Accept as Solution if it answers your query!
Message #9
Hey Alyssa! 

I'm so glad to hear you'll be attending WJMC this summer! You'll receive your roommate assignment once you arrive on campus at GMU. In the meantime, I would see if anyone has started a group chat for other students in your session! It's great to get to know people ahead of time, but even if you can't you won't be spending that much time on your room anyway, so I wouldn't worry too much about it. 
Hope this helps! If you have any future questions don't hesitate to reach out! 

Olivia Vermane
Solved! Go to Solution.

Jump to Board: